Retention of urine
Advice: Immediate urological referral may be indicated as outlined in the interactive Male Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms pathway. This also gives advice for patients suitable for a trial without catheter.
Refer To: Any adult urologist
Immediate referral indicated for insertion of an irrigating catheter and bladder washouts.
Please note: haematuria alone (without clot retention) is not an indication for emergency admission.
Fast-Track referral forms (medical staff only)
- Urology Fast-Track referral form (Standard)
- Urology Fast-Track referral form (EMIS LV)
- Urology Fast-Track referral form (EMIS PCS)
- Urology Fast-Track referral form (SystmOne)
- Miscellaneous: Catheter information (239 KB)
- Miscellaneous: Catheter valves (232 KB)
- Miscellaneous: Female suprapubic catheters (222 KB)
- Miscellaneous: Female self-catheterisation (219 KB)
- Miscellaneous: Male suprapubic catheters (228 KB)
- Miscellaneous: Male self-catheterisation (225 KB)
- Specific Disorders: Management flow chart for acute retention (140 KB)
- Specific Disorders: Trial without catheter (228 KB)
- Symptom Scores: International Prostate Symptom Score (I-PSS) (58 KB)